Thursday, May 15, 2014

Princess Serenity Costume Progress

If you don't know, I do costumes also.
I don't know how to sew yet, but hope to learn soon.
But, I do know how to do props and other items.
Once I drop this baby weight, I plan on making armor as well with a material called Worbla.

Here is my progress so far on my Princess Serenity
I've been a bit stuck due to weather (can't spray paint when it's raining) and being sick (dang allergies)
I will have more soon and will update it with more once I have more finished.

Items:
Dress
Staff
Earrings
Jewelry
Hair Accessories
Shoes
Wig

Here is a reference photo for what we are looking to accomplish. We will be doing a photo shoot while I am pregnant to imitate this. 
I bought the dress online, but even with me giving them my measurements, the dress was terribly done and didn't fit. So, I have a friend fixing the dress now. I will add a photo of it when I can.

 Step 1 of the staff- making the moon shaped top
I made a pattern in paper, traced it onto styrofoam, then cut it out

 I then covered the styrofoam with paper clay. It takes 1-3 days to completely dry depending on thickness.
Once it is dry, I will sand it smooth to get rid of fingerprints made when sculpting.

 This is the staff while drying

 I took wooden door knobs from Joann fabrics in the wood section and I hot glued them to a PVC pipe I got from Home Depot. This was a 1/2" pipe and matching knobs in size.
This is the bottom of the staff.

 This is the top of the staff made the same as the bottom.

 This is the "crystal" that will be hot glued in the crescent moon shape once the moon is dried, sanded, and painted. 

 This is the crystal turned on. It is an LED light I found in the wedding section of Joann Fabrics. I had to buy a bundle of 8, but it was worth it to have something that would light up and had the shape I wanted. The only party I don't like is the little "handle" on the side for hanging the light. Not sure If I will try to sand it off or just leave it for ease. It changes colors as well.

These hair pins came with my dress, but the peals popped off immediately upon taking them out of the package. I simply hot glued them back on and make sure there was plenty of hot glue all around to secure them on.

Here is the photo showing the wig. I had to restyle it since it was not styled very well. You can also see the dress before I altered it. I am holding about 6 inches of fabric in the back to make it look tighter. This photo was taken about a month ago, so the fitting today didn't need to be taken in quite as much (got a growing belly)
I will be adding sequins and pearls to this dress once my friend is done altering the size.

Other things I am working on right now for this costume:
Flower hairpiece
Pearl necklace
Pearl bracelet
Earrings
Shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment